Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Cooking Lessons



This Christmas I got Rachel Ray's new book of 30 min. recipes, 365: No Repeats. I've been reading it to find something great to make for Greg, but instead, I've made things that I remember my mom making when I was young.

Modifying Greg's favorite Chili recipe, I took the leftovers and made Haystacks. It's fun for kids to assemble and healthy too. Here's the recipe.

Haystacks: Serves 2
Prep time: 10 min. Cook time: 2 min.
1 1/2 c. Fritos (R) Corn chips or Tortilla chips
1 c. Salad mix, lettuce, or fresh spinach (finely chopped)
1 Tomato (diced)
1 c. Cheddar, Colby-Jack, or Mozzarella cheese (shredded)
8 oz. of your favorite Chili (heated) or 1/2 lb. browned ground beef and onions
2 teaspoons Sour Cream (if desired)

Heat the chili in a microwave safe bowl for 2 min. stirring halfway b/w cooking time. On each plate, or in a bowl, pile the Fritos (R) in the middle for a little mound. Spoon the warm chili on top of the Fritos and sprinkle with shredded cheese. Sprinkle the lettuce and diced tomatoes on top. Add a dollup of sour cream at the very top if desired. Serve with a fork and spoon to shovel that "hay".

Fun for a casual group dinner or for kids too. Have the ingredients in separate bowls and have guests build their own Haystacks.

Now for Greg's favorite Chili recipe. Greg's Mom and sister were kind enough to teach me how to make this chili for our New Year's Eve party, and it was a hit! I wish I could have said I made it, but other than stirring and pouring, Deb and Mom did all the work! We had 2 crockpots full, but it's ready to serve right from the stove.

Greg's Favorite Chili: Serves 10
Prep time: 30 min. Cook time: 25 min.

2 large (53 oz.) cans of Brooks brand Chili Beans (hot or mild or both)
4 lbs. of Ground Beef
3/4 of 1 white onion (chopped)
2 cans (12 oz.) of tomato soup
2 Tblsp. Chili Powder (or more to taste)
Tabasco Sauce (if desired)

In a large skillet, brown ground beef, drain. Add onions and sautee for 10 min. or until onions are fully cooked and mixed in well with the beef. Pour half of the beef mixture into 1 crockpot and half into another. Turn the crockpots on High. Pour 1 can of Brooks hot Chili beans into one crockpot and stir. Pour 1 can of Brooks mild Chili beans into the other crockpot. (If you want both pots to be medium spicy, half the two cans into both pots.) Pour 1 can of tomato soup into each crockpot (2 cans total) do not add water. Stir. Add 1 Tblsp. of Chili powder into each crockpot, stir. After 15 min. turn the crockpots to Low. Taste and add more chili powder or Tabasco sauce if desired.

Having the Tabasco on hand at the party is good for those who want the extra "kick." Serve with shredded cheese, Fritos, Tostitos, Sour Cream all on the side and be sure to have cold drinks ready.

I served a salad in a large bowl, w/o dressing and more than 2/3rds of it was gone after going into the second crockpot of chili, so the lack of dressing didn't matter. It wasn't planned, but an oversight on my part. We also had summer sausage, crackers and cheese, Gardetto's pretzle mix on the table. It was heavy on the proteins and starches, so I'd have added a veggie tray if I had it to do over again. The desserts were at the second house in our "Progressive Dinner Party," hence the lack of sweets, though a guest did bring some delicious mini carrot cake muffins. Yummy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I saw Rachel Ray's No Repeat cookbook at Costco yesterday and thought of you. Let me know if you find great recipes in there, then I'll go and buy it! It's always good to get new ideas. I think I'll try Greg's chili recipe the next time I make chili. Yum!

Thanks Pollyanna!