Friday, February 15, 2008

30-Day Husband Encouragement Challenge for Wives‏: Day 4

Today's challenge is a great one for me. I need to remember how hard my husband works to provide for our family, because it is created in is core to be the provider. This challenge to not speak negatively to or about or to others about our husbands is a good one. I realize when I start to say something that could become negative, it's not edifying and not productive, and it becomes complaining. Philippians 2:14 says, "Do everything without complaining or arguing..." If I'm teaching my son this verse, I better learn it and practice it first!

He may be only 9 months old, but he notices everything and learns from what I do and how my husband and I talk with each other, interact, love each other. It's so vital that I am kind and respectful and admirable of my husband so that my children learn to do so as well. Even when my husband loves me and honors me and protects me, Jonah's learning to do that too. God gave us such a wonderful design in His Word. We have to keep looking there for the instruction and for the guidance and direction we ask for.

May our husbands feel encouraged by our words.

Day Four:"...let him labor, working with his hands what is good..." Eph. 4:28

We are all accountable for the things we say, both negative and positive words. Have you embraced the challenge to speak only positive things to your husband and to others about him? Here's a suggestion that touches the core of your husband's world.

Some women take their husband's career for granted, and they show it in many ways. Do you "dump" on your husband at the end of the workday, or do you strengthen and encourage him with your words? A wise wife will make her husband feel that she values and appreciates his work. Let him know that you are glad he is a hard worker. Take opportunities to praise his diligence and resourcefulness to others.

If your husband is out of work, unable to work, or refuses to work, you'll need to be more creative. Praise him for a character quality that you see in him that would be a vital part of a successful career - such as persistence, decisiveness, strength, an analytical mind, organizational skills, good with people, good listener, determination, etc.

No comments: