Monday, March 3, 2008

30-Day Husband Encouragement Challenge for Wives‏: Day 6

Day Six:"...whatever ye do, do all to the glory of God." 1 Cor. 10:31b

Do you recognize and appreciate your husband's creativity? Or do you criticize and demean his efforts? Instead of negativity, determine to be positive. Perhaps you can help your husband see that his efforts are an opportunity to glorify God.

Is your husband the "creative" type? Does he have any artistic gifts? What is that special "knack" he has? Affirm him for his handiwork - a hobby, music, gardening, tinkering with cars, working with wood, etc. Remember: Even if he doesn't measure up to your standards, praise his efforts.

If your budget allows, buy him a book or magazine that will continue to encourage his special skill or talent. If you have a hard time finding his "creative side," understand that men's creativity sometimes is related to their work. Find something he does to make his job run more smoothly or something he does that adds value to his work...and let him know that you have noticed. Make his day...Praise his accomplishments in public, while he is listening.

What an encouragement to me in today's challenge! I was feeling bad for not being perfect about not saying anything negative and holding my tongue, because I slipped a few times these last couple days. But today's challenge reminds me how important words of affirmation are to my husband, since it's probably his primary love language. He loves hearing praise about his work and his brilliant ideas. He's so creative with the computer and creating presentations and graphics that are pleasing to the eye and professional and convey the message at hand. He's been working so hard on his presentation for a meeting that he's facilitating today in Cincinnati. Last night when I saw the final product, I was so impressed and wowed by his work. I told him how much his boss and the company will appreciate it and they'll be looking to him for more ingenius ideas and quality creations like that.

I praise God for my husband for the way he works so hard to strive for perfection. Even when 80% is good enough for everyone else, he won't settle for less. I think that's something that God placed in his heart, because he's always been that way. We've been praying for him to get enough rest for the drive and for alertness on the roads and in the meetings. And this morning, he woke up refreshed and rejuvinated and ready to go. God is good and He answers prayers. He can give us the strength when we are weak and the wisdom and guidance when we don't know which direction to go. All we have to do is ask with a humble heart and listen to His voice. I pray that I will humbly go to Christ with my prayers and requests with thanksgiving, instead of trying to do it on my own, and in my own way. May I relinquish total control to Him daily in everything.

No comments: