Wednesday, July 16, 2008

30-Day Husband Encouragement Challenge for Wives: Day 11

It's been a few months since I posted an encouragement challenge, and I want to get right back on track. So now let's continue with day 11.

Day Eleven: "Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord." Eph. 5:22

Women who are constantly negative toward their husbands - especially by speaking evil of them to others - show great disrespect. Determine not to do that today (or ever!). This challenge to encourage is closely connected to submission.

Men respond to women who respect them. What do you respect about your husband? Part of that respect includes submission to his authority. Let your husband know how respecting him makes it easier to submit to his leadership. Show your respect in public by listening to him and smiling at him when he speaks. Place your hand in his as you walk together.

If you feel there is nothing to respect, search harder ...nearly every man has some core characteristic that can be nurtured and respected. In any case, you must still cultivate a submissive spirit to his position of leadership..."as to the Lord."

Oh, what an answered prayer this is for me. Praying about my attitude and submission to my husband. This task truly is a challenge for me because I've been deceived all my life thinking that I should not have to submit to my husband. But reading more about God's design for wives and husbands and families encourages me to submit to his authority and not try to do my own thing in my best interest. God had a much better idea in mind than I when He created us. I'm so grateful for his direction and guidance that He gives us in His Word.

Let's not let any unwholesome talk come out of our mouths, but only that which is edifying and encouraging to build one another up.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Found your blog through facebook...thank you for this reminder! it's hard to "submit" but I must remember, this is the way God intended it. He probably knows what He's doing better than I do! :)